It is important to look after yourself after a massage. Please do shower and change once you get home after your treatment. And then try to relax as much as possible and drink plenty water. You may occasionally feel some after-effects of your treatment and these can include:
- an increase in visits to the loo as your circulatory and lymphatic systems have been stimulated
- tiredness due to the release of toxins and the energy the body is using up to heal itself
- headache which may be a result of simulation of nerve fibres during the massage or dehydration if you don’t drink enough after your treatment
- muscular aches in the areas the treatment has focussed on
- thirstiness due to the increased action of the lymphatic system and
- heightened emotions due to the release of tension
You know your body best and so if you do feel mildly out of sorts please don’t worry; this should pass within 24-48 hours. However if you feel any unusual symptoms, abdominal or back pain or have any other symptoms that are concerning you then please do contact your midwife, GP or primary healthcare provider straight away.